Monday, October 20, 2008

Business Quotes: Infallible Judgment vs. Experimentation

Business success does not rest upon infallible judgment. It rests rather upon the courage to experiment and the ability to learn from mistakes... Experimentation, even taking into account the experiments that do not succeed, is, in the long run, safer than too great caution. The moment a business man ceases to be an experimenter and comes to regard himself as an expert in business theory and practice, he may be sure that dry rot has set in.

-Edward A. Filene
from Corporation on a Tightrope
Balancing Leadership, Governance, and Technology
in an Age of Complexity

This quote reminds me to never ever be too confident in my abilities. It tells me that I should always be on my feet, on my guard, and ready to push forward in opportunities, and ready to fall back whenever necessary. It reminds me to keep learning, keep growing, to continue searching for new ways and ideas on how to deal with problems. Business is like war, where we are the generals. "Be fast on your feet", as Brian Tracy once said in one of his seminars. It's how you win the war.

No comments:

ss_blog_claim=f93d758087aed45bf6726e1f7a06c29a